Dogs and cats are playful and curious, if not downright nosy. Our furry friends are also quite interested in sorting out exactly what they can and can’t eat, sleep on, or play with. Unfortunately, that sense of adventure can get Fido and Fluffy into a lot of trouble. Read on as a Burlington, ON vet lists some common items you may not have realized are dangerous to pets.
Himalayan salt lamps are a very popular decorative item right now. They are very calming and relaxing, not to mention pretty. However, sometimes pets like to lick the salt. This can cause your four-legged buddy to ingest dangerous—and potentially deadly—levels of salt. Keep lamps out of paws’ reach.
Choosing pet-safe plants does take a bit of effort, but it’s well worth it. While some plants may only cause mild stomach upsets, others can be fatal. Lilies, for example, are extremely poisonous to cats. You can check the ASPCA site here for a full list of toxic and non-toxic plants.
If there’s one thing that many of our furry patients have in common, it’s a love of food and snacks. However, you’ll need to be very careful with what you let your pet eat. Many of our favorite foods are poisonous to our animal companions! Some items on the no-no list include garlic, onions, scallions, and chives; nuts; mushrooms; chocolate; alcohol; caffeine; pitted fruits, especially avocados; grapes, currants, and raisins; meat on the bone; raw meat, dough, or yeast; and anything that contains xylitol. Ask your vet for more information.
Be sure to store chemicals and medications in cabinets that your pet can’t get to. This includes things like cleaning agents, paint, turpentine, automotive products, pesticides, fertilizer, and aerosols. Your furry buddy could get sick just from walking through a spill and then licking their paws! Medicines—both prescription and OTC—are also unsafe.
Plastic grocery bags can choke or suffocate playful pets. You’ll also want to be careful with food wrappers. They present serious choking hazards, yet unfortunately, many pets seem to like chewing on them, perhaps because of the texture. The plastic ties that hold beverage packs together are also dangerous.
Please reach out to us, your local Burlington, ON vet clinic, with any questions or concerns about your pet’s health or care. We’re here to help!